Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!!!! (A day late). I'm glad we got to skype, even though it was only a couple minutes. IC doesn't have wireless, or I would have taken my computer somewhere else. How did the cookies turn out?
Ski trip sounds like a blast! Take lots of pictures. Pictures will be good from the Big Gay conference too Elenor. Maybe a rainbow flag? Ithaca is very into LGBT things, and they just had a front page story in the Ithacan about an IC professor who is worried about what could happen to her family (her partner and their son) with all of the changing laws regarding gay marriage. Plus the college has lots of gay music/theatre guys....
I'm going to Longview -- it's a senior care center (i.e. nursing home) about a half mile up the road from IC -- with Molly to give mass. I haven't done it before, but we basically just read the mass, sing a psalm, and give communion. It should be good, but afterward I have to catch the bus to the Sciencenter so I can work there noon-5pm. Yesterday I worked and got to help with the touch-tank, where there are chocolate-chip starfish and a pencil sea urchin and little and big hermit crabs that we can help kids pick up and learn about. A TON OF FUN. My hands got all pruny from being submerged in salt water for two hours.
That's it for now, love you love you love you.
Oh -- and I've only watched the first 1/3 of P.S. I Love You, so I definitely need to sit down and watch that sometime.
AAAAh! --- And I just remembered that I forgot to tell you who came to Ithaca a few days ago to give a guest lecture: Dr. John Carlos, 1968 bronze medalist in the 200m dash at the Olympics in Mexico. He held up a gloved fist along with Tommy Smith to represent all of the oppressed peoples of the world. There's a video online "Return to Mexico" that you can google if you're interested. It was a really awesome talk, he talked a lot about growing up in Harlem, and what he experienced growing up in the U.S. during all of the political tension. He's a really cool person, and I'd tell you more, but I have to go to Longview now.
Peace :)

No comments:

Post a Comment