Thursday, October 30, 2008

Happy Halloween Eve!

Yay for pumpkins!  Nikoleson, you should take a picture of it and post it. :) I want to see.  And a witch is so you. jk! Yay Ithaca soccer once again! I'm glad life is good there Shan, biking sounds very relaxing.  I'll pray for your Uncle Andy, it's good he's with family.  Are you going home for Thanksgiving?  'Cause I'll see you there if you are.  I haven't been going to karate, which makes me very very sad.  But the only good dojo around here is far away, and VERY stuck up.  They think that their style is the best thing since bloody sliced bread, but it's kind of dull.  They don't even allow spinning back-kicks, for crying out loud!  I love spinning back-kicks!  I miss my old dojo...

Halloween is going to be very busy, but I think I'm going to be at a party off campus with the group.  Or clan.  Or legion.  Or whatever it is that we call ourselves, it changes a lot.  I don't have a costume yet, but I'm hoping that will change in the next twelve hours....

I finally got the absentee voter thing figured out; still waiting for it to come, but I should be fine.  I'm supporting Obama.  Big surprise, right? :)  

I'm very frustrated with the U.S. voting system.  For starters, why does it have to be so darn hard to vote?  In MI, your registration address has to be the same as your driver's license address, which makes it extremely inconvenient for college students.  Of course, you could just ask for an absentee ballot, but in order to do that you would have to have voted in person before, which I couldn't do because I wasn't eighteen yet.  So they got around all that by letting me "double register," which just means you go into the SOS office and show them some ID and that shows them that you're a real person and not committing voter fraud.  Because using a fake ID wouldn't get around that? Apparently....  Would it not make more sense to just show up at the voting booth, give them a couple forms of ID, and VOTE?!  That's what Minnesota does, and they have the highest voting rate in the country.  Because it's easy.  And makes sense.  And you know what?  They don't have any more voter fraud than anybody else. 

And I'm not even going into the electoral college, except to say that while it may have been a good idea 200 years ago, it is no longer needed.  

So yeah, sorry about the rant.  I just think that exercising your constitutional right to vote should not be a headache.  That doesn't seem very democratic.

I love you both, have Happy Halloweens.

 

1 comment:

  1. This is from Pops:
    Are you reading my comments. Unless you respond somehow in your main messages, I have no way of knowing. Nan says, "Pass on my love." She will be able to do so herself when she gets to see you next Tuesday. or Wednesday. Go Obama!!!!!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete