My roommate had a jazz concert tonight and it was AMAZING, SPACTACULAR, and more and more and more. There were six girls, seven boys in the ensemble, and they performed the best music I've heard in a while -- inspiring. there was a piano player (who reminded me of the one from Charlie Brown), a bass player (with a sweet guitar and shoulder-length hair), and a drummer (with gold-painted rock-band drums), who accompanied the group -- and together performed "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" without vocalists toward the end of the concert. A horn trio (trumpet+saxaphone+trombone) also played during a few of the chorus's songs; and one song was performed by this really cute womens treble jazz choir that also did the "doop-do-doops" behind the sound of the larger choir. It was jazz, like I said, and it was all MOVEMENT. Really free-form music, and everyone was moving continuously (dancing in place, etc.) and getting into the rhythm which was brilliant in itself: very spontaneous, especially in "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy." The only non-student on stage was the conductor, and she moved around the stage and only directed certain parts of the group on stage when needed (ex: for one of my roommate's solos the director coordinated her part with the trumpet player, so that they listened to eachother pick up the music, one at a time, then free-style together). I wish I could send you a tape or recording of it...it's amazing what some people can do with music.
Tomorrow I'm going to the State Theatre to hear Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings -- another jazz group. So excited!
Friday, October 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment